Sunday, January 12, 2014

Negative Effects of relationships and social media


The era of social media is a world wind of updated statuses ranging from new jobs to relationship posts. All of these components of social media reflect how we as humans see ourselves personally and professionally in our modern day world of pop culture. Social media networks are great ways to inform individuals across the world about disasters etc. but it shouldn't always be the way to inform others about events especially those that involve yourself personally. I personally use social media networks like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn to stay in contact with my closest love ones and to find out what’s going on in the world. Facebook and LinkedIn is by far the most visited social media platforms I use to date. Facebook has reflected the dynamic of relationships that I have had with co-workers, family members and close friends. If you deconstruct the features that Facebook offers to the general public, you typically see tools to give a full scale of personal information in explicit detail. To be brutally honest I’ve been in situations that have caused me to break off relationships with significant other’s because of them posting information relating to the both of us before. I don’t think that hundreds of pictures, relationship statuses and updates talking about your personal relationships should be publicized to the general public especially on social media. According to Pandita (2011) “Developing relationships with such individuals has it’s own risks as these people can take undue advantage of others.” Posting your life through social media attracts large amounts of people who ultimately become apart of a lot of these situations by posting critical comments and messages.  I no longer post my life through social media and I also watch what I say to others online because of my job and values. Its like what my mother taught me “keep your enemies close and keep your friends closer.”



Pandita, R. (2011). How Does Social media Affect Relationships? Buzzle.


Retrieved from: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-does-social-media-affect-relationships.html

No comments:

Post a Comment